1. Once again today, I arrived at the school earlier than normal. Today I was at the school for a total of 4 hours, which I think I prefer over just an hour at a time. Today I got to know a student named Bannie (Ban for short). Ban was in nearly every class that I was helping with, so this really gave me a chance to get to know him and his story. Ban is a 16 year old from Liberia, and has been in America for about 5 years. Ban seems to have adjusted to America very well, and seems to enjoy it. He told me that he really enjoys school and hopes to go to college to become a doctor. During his study hall, he asked if he could show me his grades. I of course said yes, and I was glad to see that he had really good grades! He had all B's and an A, and he was very proud to show me. I enjoyed seeing how happy he was and listening to everything he told me about his classes. Maybe it's because he's been in America for so long, but he really seemed comfortable sharing things with me. Also, the way he interacted with other students was something that I hadn't seen in the school before. He introduced me to his best friend, but he talked and joked with all of the students in his class. This might be because he is so comfortable in America now, so he feels the need or has the want to make sure that his classmates feel the same way.
2. In terms of culture shock, I believe that Ban is in the final stage of acceptance and integration. He has been in America for an extended period of time, and seems to be getting along just fine. While he did talk about his family a little, most of the conversations I had with him involved his future in America, which is what leads me to believe that he is in this final stage. Also, in terms of the adaptation process, I think that Ban is practicing assimilation. Obviously I don't know how he is at his home, but just in the classroom setting, he seemed to be more "Americanized" than some of the other students.
3. Unfortunately, my time at Rock Island is over. However, I still believe I will be able to apply my experience with Ban in the future. Since Ban seems to be in the final stage of culture shock, I now know how someone in that stage will act. Because of this, I should be able to determine which stages other people are in. If I can tell what stage someone is in, I will be able to monitor my conversation with them and will be aware of things that I should or shouldn't say.
No comments:
Post a Comment